Author Topic: Learning from the Amish  (Read 493 times)

Jessi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 9
    • View Profile
Learning from the Amish
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:40:16 PM »
http://www.wikihow.com/Adopt-Amish-Principles-in-Your-Life

^ While not everything there is relevant to being prepared, I do think that we can learn a lot from the Amish. They tend to live with less already and rely on fewer modern conveniences so when everything goes down, they can adapt more easily already.

Oddcaliber

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Learning from the Amish
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »
Have you ever gotten a Lehmans catalogue? All the thingh the Amish use and then some! Quite a history leson in It's self. Now I have to get one. Also have website.
We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballot box,the jury box,and the cartridge box.

itsybitsy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:37:49 AM »
Have you ever gotten a Lehmans catalogue? All the thingh the Amish use and then some! Quite a history leson in It's self. Now I have to get one. Also have website.

Wow! Lehman's! Just had a quick look at their website and am loving it. I feel that in some respects, I am torn. I love the idea of self reliance, and a simpler life, but yet I also love the modern day world and all that it brings. I think I just want the best of both worlds.  ???

Jessi

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 06:15:52 AM »
I'm a little put off by the huge, brightly colored Easter page that comes up first right now. That doesn't exactly scream "great Amish supplies" but looking around, I did see a lot of lamps and whatnot that would be great to stock up on.

katews

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:58:40 AM »
^ While not everything there is relevant to being prepared, I do think that we can learn a lot from the Amish. They tend to live with less already and rely on fewer modern conveniences so when everything goes down, they can adapt more easily already.

I feel that we could learn tons from the Amish, absolutely. I've always been from an area where there are several Amish communities and I've been amazed at the lifestyle and yes, the adaptation to things usually considered antiquated and even obsolete.  I've never agreed with that view and I think it's wonderful how they live much the way our ancestors lived. 

I've also thought more than once that in the case of a natural or not-so-natural disaster, that they'd be the ones everyone else would look to for guidance most likely.

Oddcaliber

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »
Very true,we could learn a lot about the Amish lifestyle. If we would open our mind to what we can learn from them. I do like there simpler lifestyle.
We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballot box,the jury box,and the cartridge box.

TeacherSmurf

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »
I tell my students that learning about the past, can teach us a lot about the future.

The Amish have a true sense of family and community, due to their religious beliefs.  If there is a problem everyone come together to work through it.  They expect everyone to "pull their own load" in normal times and "pull together" during bad times.
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

cmilliken

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 06:19:05 PM »
The Amish mindset is very valuable. Because of their minimalist, "no frills" lifestyle, the Amish are used to simplistic living and the lack of modern technology. The typical American of a younger generation is technologically obsessed. Their life revolves around their cell phone and social media. Electricity, running water, television, and air conditioning is so taken advantage of in the modern era that, should disaster strike, many will never adapt to the change due to their previous luxurious lifestyle. The Amish, with their simplistic ways, are able not to take advantage of things and to fully enjoy what they do possess.

Tags: