Author Topic: How to prepare for a flood?  (Read 628 times)

Jessi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 9
    • View Profile
How to prepare for a flood?
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:24:32 AM »
What's the best way to actually prepare for possible flooding? I've been fortunate enough to live up a bit higher than my surrounding areas up until now, so whenever my town flooded, I really only had a couple feet of water on roads nearby and was able to stay in my house until the water went down.

But what do you do if you're right in the midst of it? What if you don't evacuate early enough?

TeacherSmurf

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 31
    • View Profile
Re: How to prepare for a flood?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:27:37 PM »
The only things I can think of is:

To be ready to go at a moments notice...Bug-out bag and supplies in car.

Be aware of the weather...snow storms followed by quick thaw is not good.

Have supplies...many times they also sand bag and tarps (big, used as additional waterproof layer over/around sandbags) to keep water out. 
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Jerry D Young

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
    • Jerry D Young
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »
I keep a flotation vest as part of my kit, for crossing water obstacles and for flooding. I live on the third floor, though I'm only a block from the river, I should be good if for some reason I don't leave in time.

I think some type of boat or a floating platform would be a good idea. One of my stories had a guy build his deck next to, but not attached to the house. It was built with the big float chambers that they build floating docks with underneath. There were four guide posts, one at each corner. Steel rings fastened to the deck went around the posts to guide it upward without it floating away if it began to flood.

The story was based on something my father did that was similar. He not only kept a boat tied up at the back door of the house, his radio shack and hang out building was built with flotation just like the deck in the story. We lived between the Mississippi and St. Francis rivers in the bootheel of Missouri and could get floods any given summer.

Definitely want to get a PFD for everyone. Might want to invest in a canoe or jon boat, or an inflatable. Personally I want to get one of these for both floods and for water crossings when bugging out. https://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&categoryID=53&ProductID=87

Just some ideas.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:34:21 PM by Jerry D Young »
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and always remember TANSTASFL

(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A Heilein)

Victor Leigh

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
    • AreesPortal
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 04:40:33 PM »
As a kid, I lived in an area where the annual floods turn into a fiesta. Everybody is well-prepared for it. The most basic equipment is some kind thing that can be used as a boat. It can be a small boat. It can be an inflatable rubber dinghy. It can even be a very big tub. Of course, if it's a tub, it has to be very much bigger than this one:

TeacherSmurf

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »
The story was based on something my father did that was similar. He not only kept a boat tied up at the back door of the house, his radio shack and hang out building was built with flotation just like the deck in the story. We lived between the Mississippi and St. Francis rivers in the bootheel of Missouri and could get floods any given summer.

I had forgotten about using floaters.  Oaks Park in Portland, Oregon has a wood floor rollerskating rink.  After it was flooded during the Vanport flood, and the Flood of 1964 they put floaters under the floor to protect it.  Now when there is a flood, the floor just floats above the water.  :)

katdolores

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 11:31:21 PM »
I like how the flotation devices seem to work. If you're living near a river, isn't it scary to ride in a boat, because the current may carry you to wherever the river is going to?

angeldrb

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 08:09:03 AM »
Flood is very frequent in the city where I study. A little bit of rain can already result to an ankle-deep flood. Anyway, storing canned goods is a must. You should also prepare a bug-out bag and a first aid kit - just to be on the safe side. Flotation devices are super helpful.

misumaru15

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 01:19:20 PM »
I live in the south and it often floods and there are hurricanes. That picture with the baby in a bathtub is funny but shows that you should be prepared. I have been considering getting a smaller inflatable raft and a few life jackets. I am getting other things ready to go. When floods happen it is often quick.

Victor Leigh

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • AreesPortal
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
In the absence of boats, inflating the inner tubes of tires can be useful in the case of flooding. Tying a number of these tubes together, you can have a makeshift raft. Something like this:

safethansorry

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »
I'm so fortunate not to live in a flood prone area. Where I live, the road is sort of like a hill. In fact, it's like that all over the area where I'm from so flooding isn't all that common. In order for the area I live in to flood, it would have to rain for two or three days straight. With that being said, I think the best way to prepare for a flood would be to get some sand bags. I would also consider getting a boat especially if you can't swim. (I know I can't) And some life jackets with a few pairs of oars depending on how many people are in your household.

TeacherSmurf

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »
I'm so fortunate not to live in a flood prone area. Where I live, the road is sort of like a hill. In fact, it's like that all over the area where I'm from so flooding isn't all that common. In order for the area I live in to flood, it would have to rain for two or three days straight.

LOL, two or three days is a short storm out here in the Pacific NW.  :)  We've got a lot of hills too, they just tend to slide a lot during rain season.

4leafclover

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
I'll definitely have floating device on hand, life vests and long strong ropes. If I can afford an electric speedboat or the like (one used for water rafting), the better. :) Then of course I will bring with me my emergency back pack and my important documents in a sealed container. :)

Jessi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 02:38:01 PM »
LOL, two or three days is a short storm out here in the Pacific NW.  :)  We've got a lot of hills too, they just tend to slide a lot during rain season.

It's true! The difference in the NW though is that even though it rains for weeks, it's just a steady amount long term. In the midwest, we might only get it for a few days, but it can rain several inches in a very tiny amount of time (like it could start flooding in an hour).

SifuPhil

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »
Here's a pic of the valley I lived in after the flood of August 2011 -

... and the club I was a partner of ...

The best two things I could advise for a flood situation is to REMAIN AWARE and have good insurance.

Victor Leigh

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • AreesPortal
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 07:10:40 AM »
Here's a pic of the valley I lived in after the flood of August 2011 -

... and the club I was a partner of ...

The best two things I could advise for a flood situation is to REMAIN AWARE and have good insurance.

Oh, really? I didn't know you are a member of a boating club.

difrancprod

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Dianne Francisco Music
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 08:29:33 PM »
First of all, make sure that all your important documents are sealed inside a water-proof container. Make sure that most of your furniture have wheels so it's easy to move them or to elevate them in some place high to keep away from those flood waters. It's also good to have a spacious attic to keep there all the things that you would carry from the living room or any possible area of the house that could be affected by the flood. Keep your attic clean and as much as possible clutter-free!
See things clear with your eyes closed.

http://www.youtube.com/TheDiannefrancisco

Victor Leigh

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • AreesPortal
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 12:22:54 AM »
First of all, make sure that all your important documents are sealed inside a water-proof container. Make sure that most of your furniture have wheels so it's easy to move them or to elevate them in some place high to keep away from those flood waters. It's also good to have a spacious attic to keep there all the things that you would carry from the living room or any possible area of the house that could be affected by the flood. Keep your attic clean and as much as possible clutter-free!

While you are preparing the attic, it might be an idea to create some kind of trapdoor in the roof itself that you can open up just in case, the only way to escape, when the flood water gets too high, is to get up on the roof. Of course, if you can afford it, you may consider building a sun deck on the roof itself.

Tags: